Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ADVERTISEMENT
Members
  • Total Members: 137
  • Latest: Jase
Stats
  • Total Posts: 67
  • Total Topics: 35
  • Online Today: 7
  • Online Ever: 58
  • (February 12, 2013, 06:25:47 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Welcome

Welcome to the Sane Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have mental health issues, their friends and family and others with questions about mental wellness. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression - Doesn't seem real  (Read 9267 times)

disturbia

Depression - Doesn't seem real
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
The last six weeks have been total hell. I'm stuck in a small college town. Am a junior. I think I've actually been depressed since summer, but it got worse after I came back to school. It's never been this bad before. A few rough times in HS, but man this one was bad.

My boyfriend totally didn't understand and totally thought I was just being a bitch. It took a kind of acquaintance to tell me to see the school counselor, and she set me up with a local psychiatrist at a clinic here cuz she was worried that the depression was bad.

The doctor was ok. He mostly asked me a ton of questions and then gave me a perscription. He asked me if I wanted to see a therapist, but I can't really afford it and I don't think my parent's insurance will cover it. I just don't want my mom to know yet.

It feels kind of hopeless and pointless. I've been screwing off and not getting my work done at school. I just wanted to sleep all the time. Does it ever really get better?

alibasterskin

Re: Depression - Doesn't seem real
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
Hey,

Just hang on. It can and will get better. There might be some rough spots, but things can usually get sorted out once the meds kick in. Were you feeling like you might hurt yourself? If your depression is as bad as it sounds or if you were feeling suicidal you should probably find a way to see a therapist. Call your insurance company and see what they say?

Is your mom understanding, or do you have a difficult relationship? Any issues that come up with her, as stressful as they might be, are probably not as bad as staying depressed, so it would probably be worth telling her if your insurance will cover it.

If they don't. Is there a sliding scale clinic anywhere near you? did you ask your school counselor about sliding scale or free therapy services? They sometimes know.

I know it feels hopeless right now, but I promise that it can and usually does get better. It might take a few weeks for meds and therapy to kick in though.

sadstevie

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »
Yes. Hang in there. It always does get better, it just takes a while sometimes.
 :-*

mrphone1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Hi  I think if your depression persists you should seek help like seeing a psychiatrist who might prescribe an anti depressant, this often by itself could mean a world of difference. I also recommend Cognitive behavioral therapy by a trained psychologist or Social worker along with a decent Psychiatrist who will prescribe a proper antidepressant
   Marty   

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.  terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.