Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 06:42:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

ADVERTISEMENT
Members
  • Total Members: 137
  • Latest: Jase
Stats
  • Total Posts: 69
  • Total Topics: 37
  • Online Today: 12
  • Online Ever: 182
  • (October 31, 2018, 04:06:02 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Welcome

Welcome to the Sane Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have mental health issues, their friends and family and others with questions about mental wellness. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sister with bipolar  (Read 18490 times)

MollGirl

• Just an Irish girl dealing with the blues
Sister with bipolar
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »
I've been dealing with my sister's bipolar disorder, probably since we were teenagers, even though she didn't get diagnosed until she was 28. That was ten years ago.

Problem is, we just can't get her to stay on her meds, and now it looks like she's slipping into another manic episode. When I talked to her on the phone last night she wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise.

She's pretty much alienated most of her closest friends. My dad totally doesn't understand and just kind of checks out around her and my mom fusses so much that my sister doesn't really tell her anything.

That really just leaves me. I usually have a lot of hope, and I keep trying, but right now I'm feeling kind of resentful and hopeless. If she is in a manic phase then I don't really want her around my daughters. They worship her and the last time she was in a bad episode she really scared them. But if I try to keep her away from them she'll freak out on me and since I'm kind of the only stable person in her life I don't want to do that. It's a catch 22.

We tried family therapy, but that really only helped for a little while. My sister has told me during her stable periods to remind her how bad things get when she's manic---but then, when she's actually manic she doesn't want to hear it.

I'm just not sure I've got another ride on the bipolar rollercoaster in me right now.
 :'(

soccerfreek

Re: Sister with bipolar
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »
Hey. I'm the one w/bipolar. Not a friend and family. But I thought it might help for you to know how much it has meant to me for my brother and my wife to stick with me even when I wasn't playing by the rules.

It's hard admitting when the mania is hitting. It's like when you are starving at midnight and you know you're not really hungry but you're desperate for chocolate cake. Except its 100 times more powerful. Plus, it feels really good sometime and the meds, especially lithium, just made me feel like I wasn't me anymore. Nothing I used to care about meant anything to me. You can't imagine how awful that feels. I know you probably already know this. Sounds like you've educated yourself.

Just trying to express empathy, but from the other side.

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.  terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.