Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 08:58:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

ADVERTISEMENT
Members
  • Total Members: 137
  • Latest: Jase
Stats
  • Total Posts: 67
  • Total Topics: 35
  • Online Today: 9
  • Online Ever: 182
  • (October 31, 2018, 04:06:02 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Welcome

Welcome to the Sane Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have mental health issues, their friends and family and others with questions about mental wellness. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recovery and depression  (Read 10669 times)

sadstevie

Recovery and depression
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:11:17 pm »
I'm new to the site. I'm wondering if other people who are in recovery and being treated for depression have experienced problems in AA from people who think that any kind of medication is a  mind altering drug?

There are people at several of my favorite AA meetings here in L.A. who practically preach about the evils of psych meds and how people who use them aren't even really sober. It makes me so angry, and I want to just go up and shake them and ask them how they'll feel if they cause someone to kill themselves, because they didn't get the help they need?

I know I can go to other meetings, but these people don't talk all the time, and actually don't talk that often about this subject, but at least once every month or so it comes up at one of the meetings I go to.

My sponsor says live and let live, or even to go to other meetings, but that even pisses me off more. They're my meetings too. Why should I have to leave, because of someone else's ignorant opinion?

I wouldn't care except that I was lucky enough in my first few months of sobriety to start treatment for depression and it has changed my life. It kills me to think what might have happened to me if I'd heard one of these people tell me that I shouldn't take my meds. Would I even be alive today? I just don't know.

Peace

Bob

Re: Recovery and depression
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »
Hi Stevie,  Thanks for posting your message. Treatment for my depression (medication and therapy) profoundly changed my life for the better. As a recovering alcoholic and meth addict, I believe taking anti-depressants is one of the best things I ever have done for my recovery. I am still on medication and I see a therapist once a month. I believe in speaking up about this at 12 step meetings, when people start preaching and saying that people on psych meds are not really clean and sober. Speaking up could save a life, and speaking up keeps me from carrying a resentment against those who say that we who are in recovery should not take psych meds. I have been clean and sober for 25 years. I have been on anti-depressants for 14 years. Hang in there, Stevie. I send you a big hug. 

sadstevie

Re: Recovery and depression
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »
Thanks for your message Bob.

I've only been sober for 3 years, but dealing with depression for a lot longer. Maybe the answer is what you suggest and that's for me to be more vocal in meetings about how important meds are for me.

Hug back to you. Here's to keeping it simple.

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.  terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.